Sunday, February 20, 2005

 

F*CK DA POLICE!!!

One day while on another i-can't-wait-to-get-home vacation with my parents, something interesting happen. Well, I wouldn't exactly say "interesting." We were on our way back to MI. We stopped in Nashville, TN....as usual. You see, both my parents went to TSU. This is where they met. No matter what, my dad finds a way to drive through Nashville to show me where he met my mama at the bus stop on Jefferson St. Where HE stayed. Where SHE stayed. blah, blah, blah. We stopped to eat at Sweats....we stopped to eat at Mary's BBQ. I mean, we go through this to and from our destination. I'm not kidding. So you can imagine, I eventually got tired of hearing the same ole stories. Not that it mattered anyway. He was unstoppable. Anyway, we were at the hotel in Nashville. I was laying on the bed listening to my Walkman. NWA's "Fuck da police" was blaring in my ears. Oh...I don't know if I ever mentioned this. Both of my parents were police officers. **Sidenote** Who would have thought that I too would become a police officer? Not me. I'm a good ole Police Detective now. Interesting, huh? Who'd a thunk it?!? LOL Again....not me. **end sidenote** Ok...well. My dad asked, rather, told me to go get some ice. I took my headphones off, put them on the bed and left the room. Ice bucket in hand. Well, upon my return to the room, my dad was looking at me all crazy n' shit. Then he went off. "What in THE hell are you listening to? Huh? Fuck the police?!? FUCK the police?!? Fuck me and your mama?!?" Boy....I thought I'd never hear the end of that. Plus, I had PREVIOUSLY got in trouble not too long before our vacation because I was listening to Luke Skyywalker's, "Heeeey we want some pu**y!" FYI - - I didn't want no damn pu**y! Thank.you.very.much. I just liked to shake my ass to the music. That's all it was with me. I never was into what was actually being said. I was like that then and come to think of it, I'm still like that. If a song has a funky ass beat and tends to make me want to shake my rump....then dammit it henceforth becomes, "my jam" and that's all she wrote. I don't care how vulgar it may be. I ought to be shamed, huh? Well...I'm not. Anywho....that's why my dad took it upon himself to see what I was listening to at that point. I had already been busted listening to some EXPLICIT LYRICS: PARENTS BE ADVISED! Seems I didn't learn my lesson, eh? That was damn near 17 years ago. GOT.DAMN! That seems like ages!!! Although, I can remember it like it was yesterday.
With all the "vulgar"music of today, I couldn't help but think of that particular incident. A lot of folks say that the music of today effects our children in a negative way. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't. Only because, I too was once one of those kids who listened to the vulgar, profane music. Hell I still do. I think it all comes down to the individual. For one, I was able to (still am able to) differentiate right from wrong. But now we have "crunk and head bussa" type of music in addition to the vulgar, profane music. Mugs be wildin' out! I've seen kids around here act one way and then when some "crunk, head bussa" music comes on....boy....you better watch out. They become out of control! So I don't know. Should we blame the music or the individual?
Comments:
Well I switch between NPR and Too $hort so go figure.
 
Yeah...we already discussed this. NPR is my shit! LOL I LOVE listening to it when I'm in the car. I guess it depends on my mood. I just love music. Period. Point. Blank.
 
Used to be the time when I was growin' up where Prince was the nasty one with Erotic City. Now it all seems tame. I guess it's the way you look at it. Although, I gotta say, I was a Prince and an Ice Cube fiend and loving it.

I think it's up to the individual. I think of it like sex. Just cause it's in front of you don't mean you gotta take it, nahmean?
 
Shoot....
Erotic City?!? That was my ish. Now...I ain't gone front. I didn't know exactly what he was saying or what he was talkin about. BUT I knew it was nasty. hahahaha I loved me some Prince. With his nasty ass.... Damn. Come to think of it. That may explain why I am the way I am. Damn the music I say! Damn the muuuuuusic!!! Muhahahahahaha!
 
@RBG the stories were cute. But damn...EVERY time? C'mon! My mother was from a town a little over an hour from Nashville. Meaning, we had to drive through Nashville to get to and from there. I am not exagerrating when I said he'd stop by the same spots every time. But...now that I think about it. I appreciate it. Although I didn't then. It was all nostalgic to him. I ain't even gone front. I'm the same way when I go back to DC...or even when I come home to MI. Don't let me have somebody with me. I turn into my dad! hahahaha Time surely does repeat itself.
 
Man when I saw your entry title I was bout to get crunk. I was like "Yeah, now here's a woman after my own heart." And then I read your sidenote and I was like "oh, nevermind" But I'm just playing. I'm sure you're one of the nice police officers who visits school and teaches safety tips.
 
@Jediknigga...What you got against the police?!? hahahaha Um...actually at one point in my "career" I used to be an Officer Friendly type of police officer. Going to schools, community meetings and the like. I even had my own take home car. I enjoyed that aspect of it. Now, I'm a detective. It's cool...sometimes. It's not in my heart. I aspire to do something other than what I'm doing now. It was just one of those things that I was just going to do "for a minute." It's been a looooong ass minute if you ask me. *tapping foot*looking for jobs*still tapping foot* Plus, I'm tired of people saying to me, "You sho don't look like a police officer." LOL Uhh...how is a "police officer" supposed to look? LOL
 
WOW TSU that must be a awesome HBCU. ha ha ha ha. But anyway. Yea who would believe you are a detective you know what on the real you are really good detective when those men start acting a darn fool we can detect that mess. Sweats and Mary's restaurant is still off the chain. 100 years later.Is that why you would NEVER come and visit me in Nashville. I bet you would have found a good man AT TSU. ha ha ha
 
Ok, I didn't read the comments. So forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else wrote...

You didn't become a criminal because you have a good foundation.

As for people thinking our music was so horrible, as I like to remind the generation before us, "Y'all made us. Deal with it."
 
I second what Anonymous said TSU must have been a awesome HBCU.
 
Puhleeze!! (said incorporated with spit shower) TSU has NOTHING on HU. First of all, is TSU still a HBCU?!?
 
Yes, on weekends and after dark.
 
Those songs bring back memories... of when my tender mind was first corrupted! Haven't been the same since.
 
It's the individual. Every generation has songs they listened to that were deemed inappropriate for that time, but we listen to it know and wonder what the fuss was about. Each generation's music gets raunchier than the one before it. You either choose to listen to it with a grain of salt or let it make you act a fool. Good post.
 
So you know that when people see you comin', the say the title of this entry to YOU now...
 
@Jezchill~ Yeah man. Me too. I haven't been the same since.
@Brutha Code~Yeah...they probably see me and do say that. But most of the times I get this, "Hey..you can lock me up anytime." *similating hands being locked up in handcuffs*
 
TSU IS a HBCU look at the back of the HBCU Tshirts/Sweatshirts TSU is always on there. the legit ones. ha ha ha ha.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

< ? Blogs By Black Women # >